Sunday, March 23, 2008

A philosophical question posed by my 3 year old

Mommy, does Fishy get thirsty?


Fishy is the Japanese Fighting Fish (Betta) Ryan just got for her 3rd birthday from her big sister.

Not knowing the answer myself I did what any smarmy professor would do and posed the question right back at her. All I know is that they have a special little organ that helps them breathe surface air because they often live in small bodies of fresh water with low O2 levels. So they seem like us in that we both breathe air but they live in the water so you can't really compare them in this same way. Air is always touching our bodies because of the atmosphere..... can you see why I couldn't really answer her? I know just enough about a bunch of things to know that I don't know enough to answer her question.

What do you think, Ryan?

Oh, yeah.

Okay, then.

No comments: